Back in 2004 I was playing a lot with
OpenLDAP. Getting it to run reliably turned out more challenging than I had originally planned for:
DB_CONFIG file in the top level directory of the database. Not a feature of openldap, rather a feature of BerkeleyDB.
HDB, both based on BerkeleyDB. The first, older, did not support operations like 'movedn', which had been standardized in the LDAP protocol for a while, and a few other features that
HDB though, was marked as experimental. During our use, we found several bugs.
I ended up writing a tool, ldap-torture, to stress test LDAP. You can find it here: https://github.com/ccontavalli/ldap-torture
It allowed us to find a few more bugs, and get them fixed. I hadn't used that tool until yesterday, when I decided to put it on github and try to get it running again. Let's see if I succeed :)
A quick tip if you are getting started with openldap on debian: READ THE DOCUMENTATION! Start from
README.Debian.gz is the first file you want to read, followed by